Thursday, July 31, 2014

FRENCH BLOODLINES



Chicken Francaise might sound really fancy, but it’s French Chicken.  My Great-Grandfather Noe (John Chapman Noe, who everyone called Papa Noe) was French and he really looked like it.  My brother is so much like him!  You look at the face; it’s familiar.  You’ve seen it – but a long time ago, or maybe even in a picture.  A couple years ago, Jim and his wife Anita, Mom, Linda, Steve & I all loaded up in our and took a trip back in time.  We went to Lebanon and Bradfordsville, Kentucky, visiting all those old familiar sites, including the graves of Papa & Mama Noe and Papa & Mama Young.  Seeing my brother at Papa Noe’s grave was sort of eerie because Jim looks so much like him.  When we compare photos, they’re nearly identical.  They have the same built, the same features and Mom said even the same temperament!  What makes it even more strange is that Jim’s youngest son, Jason, was born on Papa Noe’s birthday (April 8, 1975 – 110 years to the day after Papa Noe was born!).






Being French has  always gave me and my sister Linda a love for France and it’s people.  Oh you should have seen us when Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy was the First Lady!!!  We just KNEW that if we did our family tree back far enough, WE would be Bouviers!  We still love all things French and I’m beginning to dabble a little into French cooking.  Hope you’ll enjoy this, too.  Bon Appétit!





Chicken Francaise Over Spaghetti



2 lb thin sliced chicken breasts (about 6-8 fillets)

2 eggs, beaten

1-1/2 c flour, seasoned

1/2 c cooking oil for frying



HOW TO MAKE THE SAUCE



1 stick butter, melted

1 c white wine

1/2 c lemon juice

1/4 c capers

1/3 c olive oil, extra virgin

salt and pepper to taste

1 lb thin spaghetti



 Create a workstation with the egg, flour and chicken cutlets and begin by dipping chicken slices individually into the egg and then flour and begin to fry gently in a frying pan, (salt and pepper if desired).  Set aside until all are done. Begin mixing  the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and place on low heat.



 If serving over or with pasta, begin a boiling pot of salted water and place spaghetti in water when it begins to boil and cook for about 12 minutes or to you taste. Drain in a colander.  Place pasta in a casserole, top and mix with a little sauce and then arrange chicken pieces on top. Pour the remaining sauce over the chicken and pasta.



Put this in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, then remove to serve. Before serving, place lemon slices and chopped parsley on top for presentation. Another great one-dish meal or serve with a salad or green vegetable.










2 comments:

  1. I still love Jackie! And count her as one of the MAJOR influences on me as a young girl. She helped me---a shy, withdrawn school girl---gain confidence because I would think "How would Jackie act in a situation like this?" I never went anywhere without my "Jacqueline Touch" booklet! Nancy & I were MESMERIZED by her and loved our "Jackie" paperdolls--wish we still had them!

    My soul is French and I would LOVE to visit there one day---like the French, I love the pleasures of taste, smell and touch. I love lace, scented candles, "chocolat", lavender, fresh flowers....and the smell of fresh bread! I also am devoted to keeping journals and writing letters! "La vie est belle!!" (Life is beautiful!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is third effort to tell you this is wonderful!!! I'll try again tomorrow. Go Nancy!

    ReplyDelete