Monday, July 14, 2014

JULY 14, 1990



Twenty-Four years ago today, I started on the greatest adventure of my life!  I was marrying my boyfriend, my soul mate and the best friend I’ve ever had.   Steve asked me to be his wife ten days after our first date, and even then, I knew I was making the right decision.  I’ve never looked back or regretted it.  



We had heard a special story which told how Cortez had insisted on commitment when he landed in Mexico. When he saw his crew's fear about invading this land of the Aztecs, Cortez gathered them all on shore and then set fire to the ships on which they'd come. Now there could be no turning back; they were committed. And so, we had our wedding rings inscribed ... "The Ships are Burning -- July 14, 1990". We knew we were committed to each other from that day until our last day. 



Now after twenty-four years together, our lives have changed drastically.  My Diabetes got progressively worse, causing neuropathy that put me in a wheelchair and I am in end stage kidney failure which has me on dialysis three times a week.  Steve took an early retirement so he could be my care giver.  And seldom do we go anywhere in public that someone does not come up to me and say how they couldn’t help but notice how much my husband loves me because of his loving tenderness in everything he does. 




I make this so often on Saturday afternoons or Sunday after coming home from, Church.  It's quick, easy and the rice is so tender and fluffy!  Even without the chicken, the rice is fabulous, so sometimes I make it separately as a side dish.  I’m sharing this recipe today because it was the very first meal I ever made for Steve when we were first dating.


CHICKEN AND RICE

4 chicken breasts, split
1 stick margarine
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
2 c. uncooked rice

Melt butter in a 9x13-inch pan; reserve melted butter. Mix soup and rice together; pour into prepared pan. Rub chicken lightly with the melted margarine; salt to taste Lay chicken over mixture in pan (don't press down!). Bake uncovered at 350-degrees for 1-1/2 hours. 


1 comment:

  1. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! I can say "amen" to everything you wrote about Steve and his loving care to you! Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete