Wednesday, July 9, 2014

MY BRUSH WITH MAYBERRY



Some people call this Texas Sheet Cake, but the woman who shared the recipe with me called it Boiled Chocolate Cake.   The cake is rich, so it is made as a single layer cake baked in a half sheet pan (here in the South, we call that a jelly roll) . I have had this recipe since I was a child.  It came from an older lady who went to the same church as my family.  She was an AMAZING Southern Cook!  Her name was Parlie Wiley.  I know, I know – it sounds like she should have been a character on the old Andy Griffith Show!  I can just see the TV Guide listing now  ... “Aunt Bee and Parlie Make Their Kerosene Pickles”!   But she was a wonderful cook who was always happy to share her many recipes and shared many of them with a little girl who was always interested in cooking.  I’m so thankful that she did.  I miss you, Parlie!



Texas Sheet Cake/ Boiled Chocolate Cake


1 stick butter
1/2 c. oil
4 T. cocoa
1 c. cold water
1/2 c. buttermilk

Bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat. Add 2 well-beaten eggs and 1 tsp. vanilla. While 1st ingredients are boiling, sift together: 2 c. flour, 2 c. sugar, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/2 tsp. salt. Add to boiled mixture. Bake for 25 minutes at 375-degrees in a 9x13-inch pan.

Boiled Frosting:

1 stick margarine
3 T. cocoa
6 T. buttermilk


Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. With mixer, add 1 box powdered sguar and 1 tsp. vanilla. Pour onto hot cake. Let cool before slicing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment