Tuesday, July 22, 2014

POTATOES WITH ANYTHING



Many people are meat and potatoes folks.  In my family, it can be meat, fish, chicken or pork … just have the potatoes ready!  Hash browns for breakfast, French fries with a sandwich, mashed spuds with pot roast.  But this is our very favorite potatoes of all.  Scalloped potatoes with loads of onions and cheese in the creamy white sauce that pulls it all together.  I make it in a 11x15-inch pan that’s so heavy, I have to call Steve into the kitchen to lift it into the oven when it’s time to bake.  I remember one time when I bought a  box of scallops because I didn’t have time to bake my own version.  PITYFUL!  They didn’t quality to be called by the same name.  I’ve had them at a lot at restaurants and friends homes, but nothing even comes close to this homemade pan of goodyness!



SCALLOPED POTATOES



8 potatoes
3 T. butter
2 T. flour
1-1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
5-6 small onions, ringed
2 c. grated Cheddar cheese



Peel potatoes and slice thin. Make a white sauce of melted butter, flour and milk. Cook until thick. Put half the potatoes in a greased casserole. Cover with half the sauce, seasonings and half the onions. Add remaining potatoes, sauce & onion. Put cheese on top to cover. Bake at 350-degrees for about 2 hours. ** I Usually double or triple the sauce ingredients so the potatoes come out very soft. 




1 comment:

  1. Yummy!! I could eat that whole pan!!!!!!! I wish that I was at your home tonight and eating a dish with you!!!

    Love you!!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete