Thursday, October 30, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GARY!!!!



Today is my brother Gary’s birthday.  He’s in Ohio and I’m in Florida, so we can’t celebrate as we always did, but I can Blog about him and share with everyoe what a wonderful brother he is. 

I have more memories of doing things with Gary because was at home longer (I was eleven when he married, only three when my brother Jim married).  One of my first memories of Gary is of us playing toy soldiers together.  I’ll admit, I was a bit of a tomboy – mostly thanks to Gary, who (rumor has it) really wanted a brother when I was born!  One time he walked me over to “A. Bell & Sons” (a dime store in nearby Reading), and bought me these really neat metal painted soldiers.  Fifty years later, I still have them!

Gary and Frankie
I also remember going to his bedroom and laying on his bed while he read to me from the Uncle Remus books.  Sometimes he’d read Tom Sawyer, but usually it was Uncle Remus.  And he had a 45-Record (dating ourselves now, aren’t we?!) of Theme from a Summer Place that he would play over and over for me.

Linda, Nancy & Gary

Gary Linda & Nancy
 
At the Cemetery in Greenville -- and you thought I was kidding???
A really early memory is crying myself to sleep  the night we left Gary at college.  I guess no one in our family had ever been away from home before, and I thought I’d never see him again.  I cried and cried.  But in the end, it turned out that some of my best memories are of visiting Gary at college in Greenville, Illinois.  I especially remember visiting the cemetery (yes, you read that right) where he went to study (I can’t explain that one – maybe someday he’ll write a blog of his own!).

And one of my all-time best memories of being with Gary was our Saturday trips downtown.  The best time was in the Fall, when the air was crispy cool.  He would take me down on the bus, and we’d shop all day – having lunch at Niesner’s Fountain.  And he’d buy me paper dolls or coloring books.  In 1965, he took me downtown to see Mary Poppins when it was first released, and afterwards he took me to Shillito’s department store because the blue suit which Julie Andrews had worn in the film was on display in their front window.

I remember one special time in the early 1960s when Gary bought a new TV for his room.  It was the first color TV we’d ever seen.  The whole family crowded in his bedroom to watch Gunsmoke that night.  We were all so excited over it!

I remember sitting with Gary when our family went to the Cincinnati Royals basketball games at the Gardens (Cincinnati had a pro basketball team then!).  And we were always going to the Emory Theatre in Reading to see movies.  Gary would buy us a box of “Dots” candies, and we’d roll the black ones down the aisle and listen to them “ping” up again the screen.
 
My brothers, Jim and Gary
I really had fun growing up with Gary.  We shared a love of movies and football – and we were closer than most brother and sister who have a fourteen year age difference.  I guess I have so many special memories because I have such a special brother.

Today I’m sharing two of Gary’s favorite things to eat.  He LOVES Golden Corral’s meatloaf and I found a copycat recipe of that!  And when Roy Rogers Restaurants were still in operation, he really enjoyed their Cheesy Apple Crisp.  So I’m adding that here for him, too.  I just wish Gary was here with me today so I could make these old favorites of his for his birthday Dinner!

GOLDN CORRAL MEATLOAF

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
½ to 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1/2 to 2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1/2 cup tomato juice or tomato sauce (Do not use ketchup)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ground beef, onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, basil, cloves, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, beat eggs with milk. Add to meat mixture along with oil and tomato juice. Mix well with hands.

Form into loaf shape and put into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. (Alternately, form into a loaf and place on a baking sheet with sides, lined with parchment, such as a jellyroll pan.) Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove and drain well; serve with brown gravy if desired.  Serves 8.

CHEESY APPLE CRISP

6 -8 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
3/4 cup sugar (more or less depending on the tartness of the apples)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375; butter a 6 cup casserole dish. Place apple slices into casserole dish; pour ½ cup water over the apple slices.

In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and flour together; cut in the butter using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add in cheese and cinnamon; mix well.  Sprinkle over apple slices.  Bake for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender and top is golden.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, Nancy.....THANK YOU for this trip down memory lane on Gary's birthday!! Gary was, without doubt, the best "big brother"!!! The trips downtown were so special---I don't know anyone who has a memory like that!! He would always buy us something or give us money to pick out our own "goodie"! Gary was always the best Christian as I ever knew. He was always kind and when people talk about how their brothers "tormented" them, I have no idea what they are talking about as Jim & Gary always treated us like precious "little sisters"! I only wish we could go out to celebrate tonight!! Thank you, Nancy, what you wrote!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tribute to your brother! That meatloaf recipe looks delicious. Meatloaf is one of my favorite main dishes.

    ReplyDelete