Sunday, October 26, 2014

A TOUCH OF ELEGANCE FROM THE OLD SOUTH


Aunt Celestia with Sunny, Chick & Sunny's daughter Dawn

Celestia Noe England was the sister of my Grandfather.  I remember visiting my Great-Aunt Celestia at her home in Stuart, Florida when I was a little girl.  When I think of Papaw’s sister Celestia, I think of someone very aristocratic.  Even later in her life (she was 91 years old when she passed away!), she carried herself well.

Aunt Celestia has always been my kindred spirit.  Like me, she was a writer.  It’s a common thread that runs through the Noe Family, linking the generations. 

Sunny and Chick
I also have a common bond with Aunt Celestia’s two daughters – Hallie Young and Gladys Quinn (who are more lovingly known in our family as “Sunny” and “Chick”).  Like Chick, Linda & I share her love and passion for horses. 

And we are both like Sunny, too.  Like Linda, Sunny was a fantastic artist.  Even just getting a letter from her showed you her skills because she would have pictures and artwork drawn on each envelope. 

Sunny Young was my favorite of all my Mom’s Cousins.  She lived in Marietta, Georgia, where she had once had her own talk show on television and did quite a lot of modeling.  She and I both loved to cook, loved historical things, wrote poetry and we were both preservers of family history and traditions.  How blessed we are to have a family heritage so rich in history to preserve!  Many times, Sunny would send me old and treasured photos of family members long gone.  And we shared poems that we had written – she was always so complimentary to me!  And it’s cousin Sunny that we can thank for knowing our family history.  She did intensive research, tracing the Noe Family back to France and a town named Noe!

I miss Sunny and her special ways of keeping in touch.  But I treasure the many things she shared with me, including this --- her favorite recipe for Chicken Kiev, which she made often when entertaining guests or family alike.  


CHICKEN KIEV  

1/2  c. butter softened
2-1/2 tsp
s dijon mustard
1 tsp. lemon zest finely grated
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, pressed
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of fine white pepper
4 chicken breast fillets, skinless
8 toothpicks
1/4  c. parmesan, grated
1 c.  breadcrumbs
1/3 c. organic all-purpose flour
2 extra large eggs, whisked
vegetable oil for frying

Mix butter, mustard, lemon peel, parsley, garlic and seasoning together in a bowl, spoon into a piping bag.

Cut a horizontal pocket at the end of the thicker side of each chicken breast.  Fill each pocket with equal amounts of butter using the piping bag.  Secure each incision with 2 toothpicks.

Pour parmesan and breadcrumbs into a bowl, season and mix well.  Coat each butter-filled chicken breast with flour.  Dip chicken in egg to coat well.  Press chicken breasts into breadcrumb mixture to coat well.

Place on a plate or baking tray, cover with clingwrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Heat about an inch oil and fry chicken breasts on both sides for 4-5 minutes or until golden and cooked through.  Serve with mashed potatoes and salad.
 

2 comments:

  1. Again...."what a WONDERFUL blog"!!!! I enjoyed more than I can say your memories of "Sunny"!!! She was a CLASSY person and like having a celebrity in the family!! She was also a great artist as you said and her letters/envelopes were always so personal with her artwork. "Chick" was also special--I remember once we went over to Stuart, Florida to see "Chick" riding her horse in a show there. I was a HORSE CRAZY pre-teen and in awe of her! She won first place and she rode over and handed the blue ribbon to ME!! I was absolutely thrilled! Another memory of "Sunny" was at a Noe family reunion at "My Old Kentucky Home" in Bardstown, Kentucky. She & her husband arrived in a white sports car which everyone wanted to take a ride in! She was truly "one of a kind" that was as kind as she was talented. Thank you, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, never had Chicken Kiev; perfect to go with the other food group, chocolate!

    ReplyDelete