Tuesday, October 14, 2014

OUR LITTLE CHI

The first pet I ever owned as a child was a Chi named Tiny, who I adored. Actually, Tiny was in the family before I was.  Bought for Linda by our sister Frankie.  So I really wanted another of my very own.  I put out some "feelers" to a couple friends who work with rescue groups in. Within a day, our friend Dawn emailed me and said, "I have a little girl who is just waiting for you!" We made plans to go see her that weekend, and it was love at first sight! Originally named "Nola", we re-dubbed her "Cocoa" and have since learned that we need her as much as she needs us. She is half Chihuahua and half Min-Pin and we can't imagine life without our little Cocoa Belle! She's a Mommy's Girl, but loves everyone in the house, both two-legged and four-legged family members!
 
Cocoa Brossart

Cocoa had a rough life before joining our clan. Rescued from an abusive home where the man also beat his wife.  During one of their rounds of domestic violence, Cocoa tried to help her mother, but the man stomped on her leg while wearing what my vet feels was a steel-toe work boot. She was never seen for her injury (grrrrr!!! And some wonder why I like pets better than people!!!) Because her leg had never been set, it grew crooked and twisted, giving her a very deformed look when she walks and a very definite gait when she tries to run. It's almost like she is three-legged! But to us, she is PERFECT and it endears her even more to us. But although she hobbles alot, it does't prevent her from anything she wants to do or anywhere she wants to go. As badly as she was treated, she still can find it within her heart to love people, and even among our other pets, she is the "little Princess." Shiloh is so gentle with her, and Vip adores his baby sister! All the pets love Cocoa.  Cocoa is one of those treasures that won our hearts and will forever be a part of us.

They say all dogs are a descendant of the wolf.  In Cocoa’s case, that’s certainly true.  She can bit like one and she can eat like one.  She doesn’t really bit, but God help someone who tries to touch her while she’s in my lap because she thinks they’re going to hurt me.  Even Steve!  This stew has all the meat proteins, whole grains and vegetables she needs.  The protein can be ground turkey, beef or chicken or a combination of the three.  Fit for a wolk or a little seven pound Chi!

Chihuahua Stew

3 lbs ground turkey (I use the 15% fat / 85% lean turkey)
3 large yams
¾ to 1 cup of steel cut oats (I usually eyeball this)
1 lb spinach (fresh or frozen)
1 lb green peas (fresh or frozen)

Wash the yams well and chop them into medium sized chunks (the smaller the chunks the faster the stew will be ready).

Using a large non-stick pot, place the yams in the pot and cover with enough water to have about two inches of water over the yams.

Bring water and yams to a boil (uncovered) and continue to let yams boil until they start to become soft.

Once the yams start to become soft, add the steel cut oats.  Let yams and oats cook for about 20 more minutes.

Once the yams and oats are practically cooked, add in the turkey.  Mix in the turkey with the yams and oats until all of the turkey is covered and starts to cook. Let the turkey cook for about five minutes.

Add in the peas and spinach and mix well. The spinach and peas should cook very quickly and you do not want to overcook them because then they start to lose their nutritional value.

Cool and serve!  I like to portion out the stew into several containers and freeze all but one so that the stew is fresh each time I serve it to Snickers.

Give 1/2 to1 cup of stew in the morning and 1/2 to 1 cup of stew in the evening for a dog 15 pounds or less.
Chihuahua stew --- LOL!!!
 

2 comments:

  1. This stew looks so healthy for dogs. I like to give my Cavalier lots of fresh veggies but I have never given her spinach before. I will have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Cocoa Belle!!! And miss her!!!! I adore Chihuahuas and have had my "Holly" since 2008...she also came from an abusive home which just proves that rescue dogs are wonderful and one should never be afraid to adopt an adult one! Holly will LOVE the Chihuahua stew!! And she sends a big kiss to Cocoa!! I love your blog so much as I always say---tonight I made your pineapple rice and LOVED it!!! It is absolutely delicious!! I love anything with pineapples!

    ReplyDelete