Monday, October 6, 2014

PUMPKIN PATCH SEASOIN

Today’s recipe might seem like an odd choice for a snack, but don’t judge Pumpkin Seeds until you try them! 

When you go to the Pumpkin Patch and get your prized pumpkin home to carve out your jack-o-lantern, rinse off the pulp and SAVE THE SEEDS!  They make a delicious and very healthy snack treat.  Here in Ocala, roasted and caramelized pumpkin seeds are sold in man stores as delicacies.  And they sell like wildfire.  You’ll be returning to this magical recipe year after year!

CARAMELIZED PUMPKIN SEEDS

3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups raw pumpkin seeds, rinsed and pat dry
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon each, brown sugar and granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Add seeds and toss to coat evenly. Spread on the baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake seeds until lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir in sugars and salt; cook until deep golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in seeds; coat with buttery caramel mixture and cook an additional minute. Remove from heat and let cool before serving.  Makes 2 cups.
 

2 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin seeds!! We used to have them as snacks when I worked in the kindergarten at Arlington School. And these sound absolutely delicious!
    Carmelized!!! I love, love, love fall recipes!!! And I LOVE your graphics today (and every day!). TOO CUTE!!! I love the cat with the pumpkin---our Gilda came to our house as a stray....on Halloween night! And she is a BLACK cat!! What are the odds? I love the blog today!! What am I talking about? I LOVE IT EVERY DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted pumpkin seeds and made them many times when my children were young. I have never heard of a Caramelized Pumpkin Seed recipe before. They look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete