Sunday, October 5, 2014

LOVING EVERYTHING ABOUT AUTUMN!


I was blogging yesterday about how much I love the Fall of the year.  I’ve updated that to … I love EVERYTHING about the Fall!  The beauty, the weather, wearing a light jacket, Halloween, Thanksgiving and THE FOOD!

Autumn also brings out a special interest I have in three things.   Without fail, every October, I am bitten by the bug to pull out all of my Suzy’s Zoo stickers, books and prints, my Susan Branch books and my Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks.  There you have it … my Fall and Winter Reading List!

The flavors of Fall are different from any other time.  Warm, comforting dishes covered in melted cheeses and gooey caramel toppings.  And I love the activities of the Season, too.  I have fond memories of …

Baking night with Linda


 Saturdays downtown with Gary


Hayrides with Jim


and making candy apples with Frankie. 


Thank You, God for Memories!  I would be lost without them. 

These special little Caramel Apple Bites are so great.  Frankie didn’t have this recipe, I got it after she was gone.  But anyone who remembers her knows how she would have LOVED them!  And I dedicate today’s Blog Entry to her Memory and all the beautiful memories she left with each of us. 

CARAMEL APPLE BITES

    FILLING:

    1/3 cup finely chopped unpeeled apple
    1/3 cup evaporated milk
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts

    DOUGH:

    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups all-purpose flour

    TOPPING:

    1 package (14 ounces) caramels
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    Green toothpicks
    1 cup chopped walnuts

In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened; set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Flatten and place 1/4 teaspoon filling in center of each. Fold dough over filling and reshape into balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a small saucepan over low heat, cook caramels and evaporated milk until caramels are melted; stir until smooth. Insert a toothpick into each cookie and dip into caramel until completely coated; allow excess to drip off. Dip bottoms into nuts. Place on wire racks to set. Yield: about 3 dozen.




1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness.....Nancy, as I am writing this, I am trying to type through tears!!! So many wonderful memories---yes, THANK GOD for them!!!! Frankie would have loved this blog!!! She would have taken out an ad in the "Post-Times Star" to promote it!! And she would have loved the caramel apple bites!!! Like you, I love the Fall---and then it leads to Christmas! MY favorite!! But I have learned from you to enjoy the NOW and enjoy every minute of this glorious Fall season!!! One of my favorite memories was going to Tri-County Mall & visiting "Gee Thanks" together (after lunch at "The Red Squirrel", of course)---you would LOVE & BUY all the new "Suzy's Zoo" stickers etc.!! And of course, crispy, cool Fall days meant BAKING!!!! Our favorite kind of day? Well, in the words of Winnie-the-Pooh: A BLUSTERY DAY!! I found a quote that perfectly describes how we feel about Fall: "Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumn." A quote by author George Eliot!
    Thank you for this blog and thank you for today's entry! I know how hard you work on it---even when you feel bad!! I love you, I love our memories, I love NOW----HAPPY AUTUMN, NANCY!!!
    P.S. I love the "Suzy's Zoo" graphics---they make me HAPPY just to look at them!!

    ReplyDelete