Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A KENTUCKY CHRISTMAS CANDY



It’s a little early for Christmas candy, but this particular one is good for any holiday or any occasion. 

Our family always took an annual “Shopping Day in Kentucky” day trip.  We would first go to Lexington for lunch and a visit to Turf Land Mall, then backtrack to Ohio going through some quaint and charming little towns that we had grown to love – Mount Sterling and Winchester

At Christmas time, there seemed to always be bake sales set up in front of the small town stores, and our sister Frankie always made a beeline to see if they had any Potato Candy.  One year, she bought every piece they had and the lady who had made it gave Frankie the recipe!  She made it often, but there was still nothing like those wonderful drives through Kentucky on our annual Christmas Shopping Trip!  What made them particularly special was they were a family event that we did together.  You’re lucky if you have a sister.  I was blessed because I had TWO!
My Sisters, Frankie & Linda

 Potato Candy


 1 medium potato
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (1 lb) box of powdered sugar
Peanut butter to taste (smooth or crunchy)

In small saucepan cover whole, unpeeled potato with water and boil until tender.

Drain, peel and place in large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer;  add butter and vanilla.

Slowly add the powdered sugar, mixing until you have a stiff dough.

Roll out on a powdered-sugared surface. Spread with a layer of peanut butter.

Roll up as for a jelly roll. Chill until firm and then slice into 1/2-inch confections.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness!!!!! I am just so happy (even though it made me cry---but a good cry about how blessed I am !) with this blog!!! I love the photo of me and Frankie---check out that tiny t.v. set!!! LOL!!! And oh, I am so happy with the potato candy recipe!!! It is so ":Frankie"!!!! The "best big sister" anyone could ever have had! Just like you are the "best little sister" anyone could ever have!!! Love you! THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to add a comment!! Our Christmas trips to Kentucky were absolutely "magical"!!! We were so happy on them---what wonderful memories. Those small towns in Kentucky are wonderful---and Lexington is one of my favorite towns ever!! Not as good as Cincinnati--but close!! I loved the "Victorian" bldgs. downtown, Turfland Mall and of course, Kentucky Horse Park!! I love Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete