Monday, October 13, 2014

DOWN ON THE FARM

For some reason, whenever I hear the word farm my mind races back to when we were kids watching Jeff and Lassie on the Miller Farm.  It wasn’t a large place and there was nothing show-stopping about the small home in which they lived.  It wouldn’t be anyone’s “dream home” by any stretch of the imagination.  But there Linda and I would sit glued to it week after week.  And what is there about a show that as old as I am, but just hearing the strings of the lonesome theme song will bring me to tears every time?  One of the great mysteries of life, I suppose.  Filed under “Things that make you go hum-m-m”. 



How we loved the Millers and life at the Farm!  Lassie lived in the Midwestern town of Calverton with her boy Jeff, Jeff’s war-widowed mother Ellen and Jeff’s Grandfather (his Dad’s Father George Miller)/  Jeff’s best friend was Sylvester Brockway, otherwise known as "Porky," and his
basset hound Pokey were regularly featured.



 But that’s where my mind takes me with this recipe.  It’s called Farmer’s Casserole and I can just see Ellen Miller in that familiar old kitchen cooking it up for Gramps, Jeff and most probably Porky.  I know they ate more than the obligatory bowl of soup!  But after all, the Campbell’s Soup Company sponsored the show!
 


 They sure don’t make shows like that anymore.  Maybe that’s because there are few decent people like the Millers these days.  Sad, isn’t it?





FARMER’S CASSEROLE

6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
2 cups diced cooked ham or Canadian bacon
1/2 cup sliced green onions
8 large beaten eggs
Two 12-ounce cans (3 cups total) evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper


Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham, and green onion. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish.

At this point, you can cover and refrigerate until ready to bake (several hours or overnight). When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes or until center appears set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If baking after casserole has been chilled, you will need to increase baking time to 55 to 60 minutes.  Serve with a good dollop of sour cream, if desired.  Serves 12.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Nancy.....I don't know what to say! I am just OVERWHELMED with emotion at the beautiful photos of the Miller family, the farm...and OF COURSE, LASSIE!!! I loved Lassie more than ANY show that has ever been on t.v.---the Miller farm is "imprinted" on my brain because its like I have been there and KNEW Jeff, Ellen, Gramps and Lassie! We wanted a Collie more than anything in the world---never got a Collie but we had the privilege of having "Lad" (Sheltie) in our family (and later you DID have a Collie. Gunnar, and I had another Sheltie, Kodie!). I wish the world could go back to those simple times of the 1950's when there ACTUALLY were (despite the liberals' mockery of such t.v. families) families like the Millers, the Cleavers and the Nelsons. I think that is why Lassie's theme song makes us cry...because we know it is a time that is truly "gone with the wind." Look for it no more. But Lassie made an impact on my life and I still love her dearly. If I could "escape" into a dream place, it would surely be the Miller farm....and hear Gramps say, "She's your dog now, Linda."
    THANK YOU, NANCY!!!!

    ReplyDelete