Wednesday, October 29, 2014

YOU’LL GO “BATTY” OVER THESE!



We all have one, I suppose.  A dark side.  Mine began as a child and has moved along with me through life.  It’s a fascination in and love of those strange creatures of the night … the vampire!

Mine began with watching Shock Theatre every Saturday afternoon on our local TV channel.  These were the gold old days before the slash and dash tyope of sick films today.  These were the classics.  The Universal studeos monsters and I looked forward each week, hoping it would be Dracula with Bela Lugosi.  I grew a few years and when I was around eleven, I fell hopelessly and madly omn love with Dark Shadows’ Barnabas Collins, played by Jonathan Frid.  Several years later, I had the opportunity of meeting Mr. Frid on two occasions, and he was the kindest , most caring gentle man I ever met. 



 Who could mention Dracula without caling attention to the greatest Count of all filmdom … Frank Langella from the 1979 film version. 


And although I’m old enough to be his mother, once the Twilight series of books was brought to the screen, I was immediately on Team Edward, after seeing Rob Pattinson’s debut as the sensitive Edward Cullen. 


So with Halloween just a few days off, my mind turns to bats and these sensational appetiozers for Haloween parties … BAT WINGS!  Don’t faint!  They’re really just barbecued chicken wings, but what a perfect effect for the Holiday!

Bat Wings

2 lbs chicken wings (wings and drummettes separated)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup Coca-Cola
chopped chives and black sesame seeds for garnish

Put the chicken wings in a zip lock bag and pour half the soy sauce on top.  Move the wings around in the bag until they are well-coated. Allow them to marinade for 10- 15 minutes at room temperature.

Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-heat. Saute the chicken wings until they are golden brown on each side about 8 minutes. Pour the remaining soy and Coke into the wok. Bring the liquid to a simmer. Simmer the wings for 15- 20 minutes, until the liquid is reduced to a glaze.

Transfer the chicken to a plate, garnish with chives and serve.








1 comment:

  1. I'm NOT a fan of spooky movies but have to admit that Frank Langella was the most handsome man ever in the "Dracula" movie!! And oh, my, I remember how MUCH you loved "Barnabas Collins" and would RUSH home from school each afternoon to see "Dark Shadows"!!! The whole show was very "gothic" and not spooky at all! A great blog and perfect for Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete