Friday, October 10, 2014

THE GREATEST FATHER IN THE WORLD



Today would have been my Dad’s 96th Birthday.  Sadly, Winford Amyx remains 48 years old.  All of his children are now older than he was and we miss him more than we could ever express. 

Memories of Daddy are among my happiest moments.  Daddy was very much a self-made man.  He overcame the most humble of backgrounds to become one of the happiest men ever.  Not having a lot of family, he found his own place within Mom’s family.  He loved Mamaw & Papaw as if they were his own parents.  And Daddy loved his wife & children more than any man I’ve ever known.  I think because his own childhood had been so turbulent and sad, he was determined to make certain his children had everything in the world to make us happy.  Not only material possessions, but in the love, joy & experiences he brought to our lives.
 
Daddy called people by nicknames – Skimp, Skamp (Papaw was Squire).  And he never knew a stranger.  He’d walk right up to anyone and start a conversation.  He was a man of a million little expressions.  For example, if he was telling something and Mom corrected him, he just stopped his story, look right at you & say, “Well, I’m the biggest liar in shoe-leather!” 

Daddy loved to travel, and every trip was an adventure.  We would often go to visit Gary at college.  Sometimes at a moment’s notice!  He’d just come in from work and say, “Pack a bag, Lou.  We’re going to Greenville.”  They’d take ma & Linda out of school the next day, and off  we’d go.  And we spent every summer in Florida.  But even small drives were exciting because of him.  I remember going to Hamilton on Friday nights just because there was an ice cream shop there that sold really good “black war-nut” ice cream, as je would say.  And every weekend we went to a then-new hamburger stand in Kenwood called McDONALD’S, and took them to the park down the street to eat.  And how he loved to eat!  Mom never had to worry about what to fix because Daddy loved everything.  And he was very complimentary.  He would always tell her how much he enjoyed a meal, or tell her that she looked pretty.
 
Linda & Me with our parents on the USS Alabama
I had just turned 11 years old when Daddy died so suddenly of a heart-attack at 48.  But I remember details about him as clearly as if they just occurred yesterday.  I guess that’s partly because we speak of him often, keeping his memory alive.  Throughout my life, I’ve really missed Daddy,   but never more so than on my wedding day.  How I wish he could have been there (and how I wish Steve could have known him).  The morning of my wedding day, I went to Oak H ill Cemetery and sat there at his grave for a long time just so I could feel that Daddy had been a part of my big day.

Daddy loved to build and work on houses.  I’ve seen a lot of his work around town.  But I really feel that his family (Mom, Jim, Gary, Linda me – and Frankie, when she was with us) remain his best monument.  We are the legacy he would be most proud of because we are the ones he loved more than anything on earth.

I wanted to pay tribute to Daddy by sharing a recipe for one of his favorite candies … classic old Peanut Brittle.  I’m no fan lf hard candy.  I sort of like my teeth where they are.  Daddy could plow his way through a box of that stuff like his mouth was a nutcracker!  So I was thrilled when I found this recipe for a softer version.  Like the original hard stuff, it makes a lovely gift at Holiday time, especially for friends who are fond of their teeth, too!  It’s very similar to the center of a Butterfinger candy bar.  I hope you’ll love it, too.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY … I miss you every dy!

Soft Peanut Brittle

2 cups creamy peanut butter
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
1/4 cup water plus 2 teaspoons, divided
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups peanuts, raw or roasted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Generously butter a large cookie sheet. Set aside.

In a double boiler over hot water heat peanut butter till melted. Meanwhile prepare syrup in a large saucepan by combining sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 cup water. Cook over high heat to 275 degrees on a candy thermometer. Lower heat to medium, add butter and stir till melted. Add peanuts, cook, stirring about 5 minutes until candy starts to turn brown and reaches 300 degrees.

Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda that has been dissolved in remaining 2 teaspoons water. Add vanilla.

Working quickly, fold in warm peanut butter, stirring gently. At once pour candy mixture onto prepared cookie sheet. Quickly spread as thin as possible. The key word here is quickly.

When cold break into serving size portions.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Nancy......this is the most touching, beautiful tribute I have ever read. How PROUD Daddy would be of you!!!! Of all the children, I think you are most like Daddy....I remember you "helping" Daddy when just a little girl. You wanted to be right beside him when he was working---or sitting in his lap while you both watched your favorites....you & Daddy were both fans of Jesse James and outlaws of the west!! You were Daddy's baby girl---in family order and in his heart! You are also like him in your generous and loving spirit towards your family. And enjoying trips!!! Daddy is with us every day---I am sure that he is looking down on us and cheering us on. And I am sure he was so proud of you on your wedding day!! "The Father of the Bride" would have loved Steve! A fellow "handyman"! Thank you, Nancy....and Happy Birthday, Daddy!

    ReplyDelete