Tuesday, November 11, 2014

HAPPY VETERANS DAY



Hope everyone is having a beautiful day today.  It’s Veterans Day, and of course, I’m thinking of my Dad.  A World War II Navy Seabee, Daddy was a true HERO.  I honor him every day of my life, but today is just special for remembering him.  He was so proud of his service record, and although it must have been difficult for him to be so far from home and family, he was proud to serve and he always made sure that his children respected all military from every branch.

Thinking of World War II reminds me of my Uncle Johnny and Aunt Dona.  My Mom’s younger brother was I the Navy and stationed in California.  It was there that he met a beautiful woman named Dona Lake.  Needless to say, he never returned home.  They were married and began their family in San Diego.  Aunt Dona was gorgeous.  As beautiful as a movie star of the era.  And she was (and is) so sweet to everyone.  I adore her and always have.

There’s one in every family – a special someone who’s presence makes everyone feel good.  My Uncle Johnny was just that.  He’s always had a bit of the Gypsy wanderlust in his blood, so there were times we’d go for a few years without a visit.  But a child never questions things like that; and when I was growing up, nothing excited me more than when Uncle Johnny came to town.  He would come in carrying Pepsi and potato chips, and ordering White Castles for everyone.  We’d play games, watch basketball or boxing on TV, laugh and just have the greatest time ever.  Then, as quickly as he had breezed in, he’d be gone – and things seemed a thousand times more gloomy without him. 

Uncle Johnny is gone now and Aunt Dona lives in San Diego still.  But sometimes a strange car will pull up in front of my house, and for just a second, I’m that little girl once more … wishing it would be my Uncle Johnny blowing into town.
Today’s recipe is one that Aunt Dona shared with me for Chicken Divan.  It’s now one of my favorite meals.  Creamy and comforting.  I hope you’ll love it, too!

DONA’S CHICKEN DIVAN

3 or 4 chicken breasts, boned
2 (10 oz) pkg. frozen broccoli
1 cup water
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 cup sharp American cheese, shredded
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, mixed with 2 T. melted butter

Simmer chicken n water until tender.  Arrange broccoli in greased casserole dish.  Place halved chicken breasts (skin removed) on top of broccoli.

Combine soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder; pour over chicken.  Sprinkle cheese and bread crumbs on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Serve with rice.


1 comment:

  1. Veterans Day has always been special to our family as you so beautifully said in your comments on Daddy. He always supported the military---I remember during the Vietnam War when he would sob as he watched on t.v. the bodies of soldiers being returned home. We were all very supportive of the Vietnam War soldiers---both of us wearing our P.O.W. bracelets all the time.

    And Uncle Johnny & Aunt Dona!! Dona was and is one of the most beautiful people I have ever known. And Johnny---he was always so much fun. I remember the games of bingo with him when he would give "M & M'" pieces to the "winners" of each game! He was like having Frank Sinatra for an uncle---Mr. Cool! I love the recipe---thank you!

    ReplyDelete