Saturday, November 1, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINDA!!!

I’ve heard it said that a sister is the best gift God ever gives you.  In my case, it’s true.  My sister Linda has always been my best friend.  She’s eight years older than me, but it never seemed that way.  We always did so much together that we seemed to be the same age.  So much of Linda’s life had been spent in bed because she had rheumatic heart disease, so maybe that’s why we seemed the same age.  We loved to play dolls.  She had “Tinker” and I had “Cilla” (I couldn’t pronounce Priscilla!).  Or we’d play paper dolls for hours upon end.  Suzie & Sally, Texas Rose & Toni, or our movie star paper dolls (Connie Stevens, Natalie Wood, Annette, the Lennon Sisters, even then-First Lady Jackie Kennedy!).  That was our favorite past-time of all.  And we both had an absolute passion for Disney films with Hayley Mills!




We did everything together, including sharing a bedroom.  We would talk &  giggle in bed until Mom pounded on the wall in her room.  We played a lot with another favorite toy – our farm set!  I remember one Christmas when our older sister Frankie had a HUGE box for me under our tree.  Apparently Frankie ran out of wrapping paper when she got to the edge of the box, because I spied a picture of Pixie & Dixie (the cartoon mice) on the box.  I quickly showed it to Linda.  By the time Christmas morning arrived, we had torn most of the wrapping paper off the one entire end of my package and knew that I was getting the Hannah-Barbera Jellystone Park set, complete with trees, ranger’s station and all the figurines (Yogie Bear, Boo-Boo, Quick-Draw, Huckleberry Hound, the whole gang!).  We couldn’t wait to get it, and when the big day arrived, it was every bit as wonderful as we had been dreaming it would be.





Television played a big part in our growing up years.  We loved to watch the westerns like Wagon Train, Rawhide, Sugar Foot and Bronco.  Our Saturday morning lineup was a ritual that we never missed:  Fury, My Friend Flicks, Sky King and Roy Rogers.  As we grew older, we saved our allowances and bought 16-Magazine to read about the stars we loved.  We made scrapbooks together of all our favorites.


Linda & Me with Elephants in Tennessee -- 1962
 
Picking Oranges at Our Grandparents Home in Lady Lake, Florida

Many years have passed since the two little girls giggled and cut out our dolls.  But today, we’re even closer.  Playing house was eventually  replaced by shopping trips to the Mall, but we still loved being together.  And we share a common love of animals and animal rights, especial dogs of all breeds and our beloved elephants.  We’re even supporters of the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee which rescues abused circus and zoo elephants! 



Frances & Lindas Birthday Party -- Cupckes by Steve
One thing has changed, however – Linda and I no longer seem like the same age.  Actually, she’s the one who seems younger now!  She’s very pixie-ish and elf-like.  But today, living so far apart means telephone calls keep us close.    But that’s better than it used to be for Mom and her sisters.  Long distance calling was expensive back then, where now it is unlimited calling. 



I love my sister very, very much.  And I’m also very proud of her.  She’s very dedicated to things that are really important to her.  She’s one of the best Christians I know.  I sometimes joke and call her “Pollyanna” because she’s always looking for the good in people.  But I’m only teasing her.  I only wish I could be more like her.





GRILLED CHEESE



Sounds goofy, I know.  But this is Linda’s favorite and she’s ordered them from every restaurant in the country!  So I couldn’t skip this All-American favorite on her birthday today!



How to make grilled cheese:

Heat 1 tablespoon salted butter in a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.

Press the sandwich (bread and two to 3 slices of your favorite cheeses) slightly and place it in the skillet. Cook until golden on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes.

Flip, adding more butter to the pan if needed, and cook until the other side is golden and the cheese melts, 3 to 5 more minutes.



Swiss & Gruyere on Country White Bread is the greatest Grilled Cheese.  You can triple the cheese:  using 1 slice each of cheddar, Gruyere and Swiss cheese.





2 comments:

  1. "Oh, Nancy," said Linda through glistening tears rolling down her cheeks, "I can't express in words what this blog means to me!"
    Thank you so very, very much, Nancy!!! I love everything you wrote (who wouldn't!!) and the photos of us together....and the graphics!!! I love the woodland creatures singing together---I want to live there!! And the Suzy's zoo graphics!! The elephant is the cutest elephant that I have ever seen---I wish the company made plush animals of all the characters!! I am so happy and just OVERWHELMED with all you did for my birthday!!!
    It is true....a sister is the best gift! I had the blessing of TWO sisters---Frankie and YOU! BUT YOU were and are my best friend ever. We have shared everything and I thank the Lord for you every single day of my life. Best of all, we are not only earthly sisters but also sisters in Christ. You inspire me constantly and I wish that I could be more like you!! You have always been an absolute JOY to me---from the moment you were born. You still bring joy into my life with all our interests----and you have influenced me in a thousand ways. I never tire of talking with you----and I always feel as if I am still that teenage girl giggling with her baby sister! Thank you for being YOU and blessing my life!!! I love and miss you too!!! And thank you for this beautiful blog on my birthday---wow, I am simply overwhelmed with emotion!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL---I was so excited about my birthday blog that I forgot to comment on the GRILLED CHEESE!!!! Duh! I have never made a grilled cheese like this one---but I will have one today!! So.....HAPPY DAY-AFTER BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! Thanks, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete