Sunday, November 16, 2014

BLUE GRASS MUSIC FROM THE BLUEGRASS STATE


I’m a purist when it comes to being a Country Music fan.  I don’t like cross-over hits and artists who usually tend to go more rock or pop, and most of the time I prefer the old performers who aren’t even around anymore.  This began for me when I was a tiny little girl.  Every Saturday night, Mom, Gary & Linda would watch Gunsmoke on TV.  Daddy and I would go into my parents bedroom, lay down and turn his radio on to the Grand Old Opry.  One of my favorite memories of all. 

Along with great Country music, I enjoy really good Blue Grass.  And one of my favorite artists has always been Ricky Skaggs.  If he had been known when my Dad was alive, I swear he would have tried to adopt him!  Ricky Skaggs gave me one of my very favorite songs, Somebody’s Prayin’.  I have played it during some very trying time in my life, and it’s always a comfort. 

          Somebody’s prayin’, I can feel it.
          Somebody’s prayin’ for me.
          Mighty Hands are guiding me
          to protect me from what I can’t see.
          Lord I believe,  Lord I believe
          Somebody’s prayin’ for me.
         
          Angels are watching, I can feel it.
Angels are watching over me.
There’s many miles ahead till I get home,
Still I’m safely kept before Your Throne.
Cause Lord I believe, Lord I believe
Angels are watching over me.

Well  I‘ve walked the baron wilderness
Where my pillow was a stone
And I’ve been through the darkest cavern
Where no light had ever shown.
Still I went on cause there was someone
Who was down in their knees
And Lord I thank you for those
Prayin’ all this time for me.

Somebody’s prayin’, I can feel it.
          Somebody’s prayin’ for me.
          Mighty Hands are guiding me
          to protect me from what I can’t see.

          Lord I believe,  Lord I believe
          Somebody’s prayin’ for me.
          Somebody’s prayin’ for me.

And now Ricky and his wife Sharon White have recorded another of the most beautiful songs ever written.  The title is When I’m Good and Gone from their album Hearts Like Ours.  I heard them sing it on Huckabee, immediately called my sister so she could hear it out there (New Mexico is two hours behind us) and she called me back in tears after listening to it.



I hope they find my King James Bible
Worn around the edged and opened to the Book of John
My favorite picture we made together
Down by Mill Creek when we were just twenty-one
I hope its led by your own love letters
The ones that read just like a song
I hope they find more good than bad
When I'm good and gone

I hope my Babies will make good neighbors
The kind you can count on when your down
And I hope they teach their sons and daughters
The things I taught 'em when I'm not around
I hope the sun shines the day they lay me down
And there's lots of flowers and a line of friends as long
'Cause they found more good than bad
When I'm good and gone

I ain't leavin' here today as far as I can see
I got a list of things I plan on getting' to
But how and when I leave this world ain't up to me
Oh Lord You'll make that call and when You do
I hope You find more good than bad
When I'm good and gone...
I hope You find more good than bad
And I hope they find my King James Bible
Worn around the edges and opened to the Book of John...

 It’s a classic Skaggs Family piece of music!  Ricky & Sharon have been married since August 1981.  They have a daughter (Molly) and a son (Lucas).  Family means everything to the Skaggs, and I was lucky enough to find one of their favorite dessert recipes.  They are great Christian people, and I just wish they lived close by and we could share this dessert together!



Arriving for Johnny Cash's Funeral: Ricky Skaggs, Sharon White Skaggs, Cheryl White & Buck White

RICKY SKAGGS GRASSHOPPER PIE

“Ricky's mom (Dorothy) always would make 1 or 2 of these pies for the family at almost every Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. I've now begun to make them for our holiday gatherings.”   ~Sharon White Skaggs

1 cup sugar
1/2  stick margarine, melted
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2  tsp vinegar
1/2  cup pecans
1/2  cup coconut
1 small bag of chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees.


1 comment:

  1. Like you, I LOVE Mr. & Mrs. Ricky Skaggs!!! I loved Sharon White Skaggs the first time that I saw her singing with her sister and father---they seemed so down-to-earth and I can't imagine a more perfect couple than Ricky & Sharon! You are so right---if Daddy could have, he would have adopted Ricky Skaggs. We would be listening to Ricky Amyx now!!! Daddy loved bluegrass music more than anyone I ever knew! I remember you & Daddy listening to Bill Monroe on the Grand Ole Opry---when the sounds of bluegrass would "drown" out our "Gunsmoke"! LOL! I loved them on Huckabee's show---I only wish that Huckabee would run for president and Ricky & Sharon would campaign for him!! What a show that would be!!! The pie looks delicious and I love the green "grasshopper" color!! I wish that they had a whole cookbook out of Skaggs/White family recipes! Thank you, Nancy, for writing about our favorites! This is one of my (many, many) favorites of your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete