Friday, September 5, 2014

SOMETHING SWEET FOR DESSERT



Steve and I have a Godson named Gage.  He’s a wonderful young man who has made us so proud by entering Culinary School to become a chef.  Gage recently got married to a darling girl named Ashley and when Gage is not at school, they’re at home in their kitchen cooking up wonderful things together. 

 

Ashley sends me recipes all the time.  But when she’s sending something like cakes or pies, she’ll write:  “I’m sending you another desert recipe”.  She never spells it right!  So I sent her an easy way to remember it.  I told her that the word is spelled D-E-S-S-E-R-T, with TWO S’s.  That stands for Something Sweet … just like her!

 

These brownies are delicious and so quick & easy.  The most difficult part is waiting for them to come out of the oven!  Just have a big glass of milk ready!!!

 

Ashley’s Brownie Recipe


2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease (or spray) a 13×9-inch pan.
Combine the chocolate chips with the butter in a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave until melted (stopping to stir every 30 seconds) or you can melt on the stove top over low heat. I just think the microwave is a lot faster.
Once the chocolate chips are melted, stir in the eggs. Then stir in the flour, sugar, vanilla, and baking soda. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips and nuts if you are using them.
Pour into the pan and spread the batter out. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.


1 comment:

  1. I remember growing up that your favorite treat was BROWNIES. When we would go to Wyoming Bakery, I always picked out the "Smiley Face" cookies (with the yellow icing and black eyes and smile which turned my lips black) and you always went for the brownies! These sound absolutely YUMMY!!
    I am going to make these at Christmas and pop them into tins. What am I thinking of?---I am going to make them NOW! Next....smiley face cookie recipe, anyone?

    ReplyDelete