Thursday, August 7, 2014

STRANGE FOODS ARE SOMETIMES GREAT



Alright, time for confessions.  I tend to eat some strange foods.  There’s not much I won’t try.  Sometimes I learn that I love it, and sometimes I vow to never try it again.  But I wasn’t always that way.

As a kid, I ran whenever I heard the word “Liver”, as in Liver and Onions!   It just grossed me out.  But as an adult, a restaurant was opened near us called Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken, and I entered a whole new world of loving livers … CHICKEN livers!  They were fried and sort of buttery-tasting (although I later learned that no butter is involved in the cooking)  and would melt in your mouth.  I was hooked!

There are Lee’s Chicken restaurants down here in Florida, too.  And after stopping off to by probably fifty orders after a few months, Steve asked me one day why we were spending $4 an order on something that sold at Publix for $1.   A DOLLAR?   “Well,”  I fumbled for an excuse … “because I wouldn’t know how to cook them.”  So he just said, “Let me work on that.”  He did, and we’ve never bought another order of Chicken Livers again from Lee’s. 

I know there are a lot of people who nearly pass out when they just hear the word “livers”.  But trust me on this one.   Beef livers is a whole other subject from chicken livers.  Give them a try and you just might find out that you love them as much as I do!

CHICKEN LIVERS

1 (16 oz) tub of Tyson Chicken Livers (thawed)
Flour
1/4 cup garlic salt
1/2 cup canola (or vegetable) oil

Drain fluid from livers.  Put livers in large bowl with 4 cups of flour; separate and coat well with flour. 

In large skillet, heat 1/2 cup oil over medium high heat.  When oil is hot, add livers to skillet.  Sprinkle garlic salt over top.  Turn livers over twice during cooking.  Cook for approximately 20 minutes.  Lay on paper towels to drain for a few minutes. 

Chicken livers are great served with buttered toast points.


1 comment:

  1. Well, I am one that only under threat of torture would I eat livers!! LOL! But Wil loves them so this is a SUPER recipe for me to try!!!! THANK YOU! Wow, you have Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken in Florida---I haven't seen them since I left Ohio!! Again thanks for the recipe!!

    Love you!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete