Monday, August 18, 2014

GIFTS FROM MY KITCHEN



Every once in awhile between now and Christmas, I am starting a series of posts called “Gifts From My Kitchen”.  It will feature things that you can make as Holiday gifts for yur family, friends, teachers at yur kids school, church friends, Grab Bag (aka “Secret Santa”) or any time you need a quick gift.

For my first gift entry, I will give a special recipe that I made as part of a weekly Women’s group meeting when I worked at my favorite Church, Friendship United Methodist Church, in Wyoming, Ohio.  What beautiful gifts we made in that group, many which I will be sharing here with YIU!


Foaming Bath Salts
 
1/2 c. liquid soap
1 T. light oil
Food coloring of choice
6 c. rock salt crystals 

Mix together the soap, oil and coloring. Pour mixture over the rock salt in a large bowl. Stir continuously until salt crystals are evenly coated. 

Spread the salts out in a thin layer on a wax paper-lined baking s heet. Allow to air-dry (this can take up to 24 hours). Put bath salts into a decorative container when they are completely dry. 

To use: Pour 1/4 c. of the salts into the bath under running water. Makes 48 oz (enough for 24 baths).

Lavender Bath Crystals
 
1 c. sea salt
1 c. Epsom salt
1 c. Kosher salt
36 drops lavender essential oil
2 to 3 drops purple cooring
3 (1/2-pint) jars with lids 


Combine the salts in a ziplock bag; add essential oil, shaking bag thoroughly to coat. Add coloring; shake bag to distribute color. Pour mixture into jars. Sea lips; attach labels and gift tags. 


Raspberry Bath Salts
 
2 (4 lb) cartons epsom salt
6 c. sea salt
1/2 tsp. glycerin
14 drops raspberry essential oil
14 drops red food coloring
12 (12 oz) jars with lids

Empty 1 carton epsom salts into a large mixing bowl; add 3 c. sea salt, stirring well. Mix in 1/4 tsp. glycerin and 7 drops oil; set aside. 

In separate mixing bowl, combine remaining salts; stir well. Add remaining glycerine, oil and red coloring; stir until completely blended and colored.

Holding each jar at an angle, layer salts in jar, alternating white and colored mixtures. Seal lids and attach labels and gifts tage. Makes 12 jars. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness, what a wonderful church Friendship United Methodist was!!! What an impact it made on your life. I will be making the bath salts as gifts----the Lavender bath crystals are especially appealing to me as I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all things lavender. It IS a stress reliever---everything in my home from dishwashing liquid to bubble bath to lotions is lavender! It must be part of my French soul.
    I love your blog----I say this every day: "This is my FAVORITE one!!" But it is true that I love them all! However, this IS indeed one of my favorites!! THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete