Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A RECIPE FROM LONG AGO



This year, Steve and I celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary.  It’s been a good run, filed with lots of fun trips, wonderful times at home and one of favorite activities, cooking together.  Along the way we’ve managed to gather a fantastic collection of amazing recipes.  We’ve bought every cookbook imaginable and more often than I can remember I always ask people for their recipe if they’ve served us something we’ve enjoyed and would love to have again.   

This is a recipe that we had at the home of one of Steve’s friends while we were dating.  It’s a casserole, and I just LOVE a good casserole.  One dish meals that usually contain everything I love!  This one was extraordinary!  We asked for the recipe and BJ wrote it out for us before we left that day. 

I think you’ll love it, too  I’ve never served it to anyone who hasn’t asked for the recipe!

CHICKEN, BROCCOLI AND CHEESE
 
4 chicken breasts
2 (10 oz.) pkg. chopped broccoli
1 (10 oz) Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheese Bar (red wrapper)
1 stick margarine
1 roll Ritz crackers
1/2 c. milk
3-4 T. flour (for sticking)

Boil chicken for about 45 minutes. Cool; bone and skin; cut into bite-size pieces Shred the cheese. Cook broccoli as directed. Crush Ritz crackers in the oll. Melt margarine in baking pan.
In buttered baking pan, layer: chicken, broccoli, cheese and flour. Pour milk over top. Cover with cracker crumbs. Drizzle melted margarine over top. Bake at 375-degrees for 30 minutes.


3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love broccoli. I would love to make this for one of my Bible study dinners which start in the fall. I think I will substitute low fat cheese and less butter though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember well your chicken, broccoli and chess casserole. It is so delicious and I miss it! I know, I know....I could make it myself but it would never be as good as yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I meant CHEESE casserole!!! Duh!!!!

    ReplyDelete